Aitkin Community Hospital, d.b.a. Riverwood Healthcare Center, was incorporated in 1948 and opened its doors in 1955. The hospital evolved to become an integrated clinic and hospital health system with the purchase of the Ripple River Medical Center family practice and clinic building in the late 1990s. To reflect its new identity, the organization changed its name to Riverwood Healthcare Center. Full-service, primary care clinics were added in McGregor (in 1977) and in Garrison (in 2007).
As the original hospital facility's services expanded and the building became outdated, the Riverwood Governing Board of Directors approved a plan to build at a new site on the northeast edge of town. In 2003, Riverwood opened a new, modern 24-bed hospital and clinic facility.
Riverwood has continued to update and expand its facilities to meet the healthcare needs of a growing aging population in Aitkin County and surrounding communities. With a focus on the future, the organization began a $21 million expansion and renovation project in 2011 to enhance the quality of healthcare for years to come.
More information at our Better Together Capital Campaign site.
Riverwood Healthcare Center has a strong commitment to quality of care for its patients. Its hospital has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval™ for accreditation by demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission’s national standards for healthcare quality and safety in hospitals.
The accreditation became effective May 13, 2011, after Riverwood underwent a rigorous unannounced on-site survey. A team of Joint Commission expert surveyors evaluated the Aitkin hospital for compliance with standards of care specific to the needs of patients, including infection prevention and control, leadership and medication management. The accreditation award recognizes Riverwood’s dedication to complying with The Joint Commission’s state-of-the-art standards on a continuous basis.
For more information, go to www.jointcommission.org